Are you ready to make a difference in the lives of people needing help right here in our own community? When you work at United Way, you’re part of a group that is making Rowan County a better place to live. We’re dedicated to representing the entire local community in our staff. Join us and be a part of something special.
United Way of Rowan County
Position Title: Philanthropy Director
Reports To: Executive Director
Role and Purpose:
Responsible for the development and execution of short and long-range strategic and annual fundraising plans focused on revenue generation and donor engagement. Responsible for Community Campaigns, Individual Donor Engagement and Corporate Relationship Management. Responsible for the leadership of volunteers to ensure maximizing fundraising and engagement efforts including the annual campaign, workplace campaigns, major and leadership gifts, planned endowment giving, individual and corporate donor engagement, and The Alexis de Tocqueville Society.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Functions
The major responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
Resource Development/Community Giving
- Leads and coordinates the goals, objectives, and work to maximize the organization’s revenue streams. Areas include annual campaign, workplace campaigns, special events, etc.
- Work with Executive Director around Leadership Giving and the Alexis de Tocqueville Society; ensures we create and implement a plan to cultivate, steward, and solicit our current and prospect donors.
- Cultivates and sustains positive, productive relationships with volunteers, community and business leaders, donors, grant recipients, and staff.
- Evaluates philanthropic results; recommends changes, organizes and develops an appropriate volunteer structure through which the community-wide support for the campaign is achieved.
- Works with Executive Director to plan, organize, and implement new revenue streams to support community impact work. This includes but is not limited to online giving, endowments, major and planned giving, fundraising events and grant writing; current and new applications (CFC, SECC, etc.).
- Plans and executes donor and volunteer involvement in Community Chest Fund; including communications family members of those being honored or memorialized.
Marketing & Communications
- Works with Director and Public Relations Committee in developing and directing the implementation of short- and long-range plans for the purpose of meeting the organization’s marketing and communication goals.
- Works with Public Relations Committee to develop an annual marketing and communication plan, including public relations and online marketing that builds relationships with key audiences and work to position RCUW as the leader for community impact.
- Works with all volunteers to help RCUW to become a true story telling organization, training all key stakeholders on our brand guidelines and key messaging.
- Works with Community Investment Partners to achieve any marketing requirements under the Grantee Memorandum of Agreement.
Volunteer Management & Coordination
- Provides professional leadership to volunteer campaign cabinet; responsible for providing guidance and leadership in RCUW’s campaign and donor engagement efforts.
- Assumes primary staff responsibility for all fundraising and campaign meetings, overseeing the activities of volunteers and providing expertise in organizing and developing successful campaign strategies.
- Provides goal-setting, visioning, leadership, and strategic direction for fundraising and campaign volunteers.
- Works directly with and supports the Campaign Chairman in the execution of the chair responsibilities as outlined in the in job description, including the identification and recruitment of cabinet volunteers.
- Supervises Branding Assistant to develop and implement year-round publicity in conjunction with the Public Relations Committee: social media platforms, E-Newsletter, website, etc.
- Plans and executes special events such as Day of Caring, Into the Light awareness walk, campaign events, etc.
- Works directly with securing sponsors and donors for all fundraising events.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time.
- Five to 10 years of fundraising experience (United Way experience is desirable), and interacting with diverse donors and volunteers.
Alternately, extensive experience in the leadership and management of organizations of comparable size and mission.
- Excellent relationship cultivation skills and the ability to engage and influence donors, key volunteers, and other stakeholders. Ability to relate with a diverse group of individuals or organizations. Must demonstrate comfort in socializing professionally in both intimate settings and at larger social events.
- Must be able to meet donors and prospects according to their schedule, often in the early morning, evenings and on limited occasions the weekend. Must be able to provide own transportation to such meetings.
- Comfort and proficiency with presentation skills both one-on-one and publicly.
- A demonstrated track record of promoting diversity and an ability to build collaboration with the community at large.
- Experience in or across multiple sectors, including nonprofit, public and corporate environments.
- Experience in building revenue and increasing philanthropic support.
- Awareness of community impact initiatives.
S/he has unquestioned integrity; a long-term perspective; a strong sense of accountability; a practical ability to get things done; wisdom and good judgment; a fair and thoughtful approach to management, combined with the flexibility and courage to shift direction and experiment with new initiatives; excellent verbal and written communication skills; a high energy level and sense of humor.
Bachelor’s Degree preferred from an accredited college or university
Computer skills, including MS Office and campaign software
Core Competencies Required for This Position
- Mission Driven: Serves as a visible advocate and spokesperson for the organization and its mission, and guides the organization as it engages in strategic decision making.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before processes and demonstrates this through action.
- Collaborator: Understands the roles and contributions of all members of the community and mobilizes resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
- Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good.
- Brand Steward: Understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the organization and all its stakeholders.
- Visionary: Confronts the complex realities of the environment and simultaneously maintains faith in a different and better future, providing purpose, direction, and motivation.
- Team-Builder: First ensures that the right people are in the right roles at the right times; fostering commitment, trust, and collaboration among multi-cultural leaders and stakeholders.
- Outward Turning: Understands the dynamics of local, regional, and national environments, and works on an agenda rooted in the community’s own perception and its needs and aspirations.
- Business Acumen: Possesses a high-level of broad business and management skills and is effective at generating financial support for the organization.
- Network-Oriented: Values the power of networks; striving to leverage United Way’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy.
Salary and Benefits:
- $55K – $60K annually.
- Competitive benefit package.
- The Philanthropy Director will reside in Rowan County. Candidates from outside Rowan County must be willing to relocate if selected for the Philanthropy Director position.
- Full-time. Core Hours of Monday-Friday, 8:00 to 5:00pm. Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including early morning, evening, and weekend work.
- All application materials should be submitted electronically to email@example.com or mailed to Rowan County United Way, 131 W. Innes Street, Ste. 201, Salisbury, NC 28144 Attention: Jenny Lee
- Materials include:
- Cover letter
- Resume or vitae demonstrating required qualifications for the position
- Name of three (3) professional references and their current contact information
Deadline for Applications:
Applications must be submitted by April 10th, 2020.
Note: Position will remain open until filled.